February 24, 2011

Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1

Service Pack 1 for both Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7 was out for Volume Licensing customers since last week, and was released into the wild earlier yesterday. I didn't have time earlier to download it from the Volume Licensing site, but I decided to take some time to download my updates today.

For some stupid reason the downloads keep getting stuck at exactly the same place every single time. For example, the Windows 7 Professional X64 English ISO, which is 3,181,668,352 bytes, always gets stuck at exactly 2,682,257,408 bytes, even if I use a download manager, even if I use Microsoft's own Java-based download manager, even if I use IE instead of Firefox. I tried downloading around the erroneous byte by using Flashget, but even when the file is 100% loaded, that single problem byte is still stuck and attempting to load it just gives me a server error. After trying numerous times, I looked at my firewall logs and noticed I've already downloaded over 100 gigabytes today, without getting anywhere.

Luckily, I still have The Pirate Bay at my disposal. So even though I'm a Volume Licensing customer for both Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2, along with a whole bunch of other Microsoft products, I ended up having to download ISO's from The Pirate Bay. Arrrrrrrrrrr!


Update: after a few weeks, I went back to the Microsoft download site and still couldn't download the problem files. I found a place for leaving comments and left a comment, and a few days later, I could successfully download the files. I don't know if the problem was with Microsoft or with the local Akamai mirror on my ISP, but it's hard to imagine I was the only person with problems...

2 comments:

Triple D said...

You're not the only one. I just tried downloading Windows 2008 R2 with SP1 and Exchange 2010. Did this on Friday, July 22 after work hours. Both files ended up with exactly that file size. Exchange 2010 is supposed to be more than 4G. Sigh. Trying again.

Quincy Acklen said...

I'm trying this now (March of 2014) and I keep getting stuck at 2,682,257,408 bytes ( I found your page by googling that number alone ). I used wget and with 20 retries it fails at the same place every time (but much faster than the previous 10 attempts over http).

2014-03-20 07:17:56 (0.00 B/s) - Connection closed at byte 2682257408. Retrying.

--2014-03-20 07:18:06-- (try:20) http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-59465.iso
Connecting to msft.digitalrivercontent.net (msft.digitalrivercontent.net)|23.0.160.206|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 206 Partial Content
Length: 3320903680 (3.1G), 638646272 (609M) remaining [application/octet-stream]
Saving to: ‘X17-59465.iso’

80% [+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ] 2,682,257,408 --.-K/s in 0s

2014-03-20 07:18:06 (0.00 B/s) - Connection closed at byte 2682257408. Giving up.